Hello Film Doctor friends.
How was your working week?
This Friday the UK screens welcome a new release from Atom Egoyan (“Where the Truth Lies”, “The Sweet Hereafter”, “Chloe”), the Colin Firth / Reese Witherspoon-starring “Devil’s Knot”, and the Film Doctor team scouts for the Director’s cinema picks.
The Canadian Director first came to prominence in 1994, with “Exotica” , while 3 years later “The Sweet Hereafter” earned him 2 Oscar nominations. Although his latest title, “The Captive”, woke up to a fury of criticism when premiered at Cannes Film Festival last month, Egoyan’s preceding project, “Devil’s Knot” enjoys a successful slate of distribution deals for 16 territories.
His list of Favourite Films looks like this:
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, dir. Stanley Kubrick)
- 8 1/2 (1963, dir. Federico Fellini)
- Bicycle Thieves (1948, dir. Vittorio de Sica)
- Breathless (1960, dir. Jean-Luc Godard)
- The Godfather (1972, dir. Francis Ford Coppola)
- Metropolis (1927, dir. Fritz Lang)
- The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928, dir. Carl Th. Dreyer)
- Persona (1966, dir. Ingmar Bergman)
- Pulp Fiction (1994, dir. Quentin Tarantino)
- Vertigo (1958, dir. Alfred Hitchcock)
“Devil’s Knot” opens in UK cinemas nationwide today, Friday 13th, 2014.